The Jefferson County Building Department is responsible for review and approval of all building plans to ensure that all construction meets current safe standards and building codes.

Building Inspector: Rob Wilson

Office Hours

8-4 p.m.

P.O. Box 710                                                   
Dandridge, TN 37725
Phone: 865-397-0640
Fax: 865-397-7612
Click Here to see the Adequate Facilities Tax Resolution (2007-35).

The Building Department enforces the residential regulations of the 2012 edition of the International Code Council through the plan review and inspection processes.  This department accepts applications for all construction permits and Board of Construction Appeals, reviews and approves plans, collects fees, issues permits, schedules inspections, maintains permit record files, and issues occupancy certificates.

The Building Department plays an integral role in maintaining the quality of construction in Jefferson County, assisting builders and the general public with the building codes and other regulations to the mutual benefit of both.  It is or mission to protect and serve the citizens of Jefferson County through the fair and ethical enforcement of adopted construction codes, zoning regulations, and construction safety standards.  This is accomplished by an efficient administration, qualified professional staff, ongoing citizen and customer education efforts, and active enforcement of new construction.


Frequently Asked Questions

What Are Building Codes?
Building codes are the rules, regulations and specifications that Jefferson County uses to help ensure quality construction and a safe, finished structure.
Which Building Codes Did the County adopt?
Jefferson County has adopted the 2012 International Residential Codes.
What Is a Building Permit?
A building permit is a license required by County codes granting legal permission to construct, enlarge, or remodel a building.
When Do I Need a Permit?
A permit is required for substantial repairs, alterations, garages, new buildings and
additions. You need to purchase a building permit for any new structure or addition to existing structure that is not portable, other than a structure that is used strictly for agricultural use only.   For questions about when a permit is needed, please contact the Building Department at (865 397-0640 or the Zoning Office at (865) 397-4414.
What do I need to get a permit?
A building permit for a house: Warranty Deed, Copy of Survey or Plat of the property, Copy of Septic permit approval from the Health Department, and the square footage of the home and garage.

A building permit for a mobile home: Warranty Deed, Copy of the Survey or Plat of the property, Copy of the Septic permit approval from the Health Department, and a Copy of the Bill of Sale for the Home.

How much will the building permit cost me?
See the building permit cost formula.

 How to Apply For a Permit?
1. The Contractor or Homeowner needs to submit 2 copies of plans, blueprints or drawings. (A two-day waiting period for the reviewing of plans is required; however, some plans may require additional time.)

2. If you have a Contract, the requirements are:
         a. State License
         b. County License
         c. Liability Insurance
         d. Workers Comp Insurance
         e. Driver's License

Please bring a copy of each item. Thank you.
If you, the Homeowner, obtain the permit, state law requires you to act as the General Contractor and supervise all phases of the job. You must hire and supervise all subcontractors, who shall be licensed.
If you have the permit in your name and hire a General Contractor to do the work, then your permit must be reissued in the name of your General Contractor who must follow state requirements.  
What guidelines do I have to follow when building my house?
The County has passed the 2012 International Residential Code and before any residential construction is permitted all plans must be reviewed and approved by the Building Department. 

May a homeowner build their own house without a license? (From state web site)
Yes. Homeowners are allowed one permit every two years to build  their own house and act as their own contractor. If a homeowner hires a contractor, the contractor is required to be licensed and obtain the permit.
A homeowner should never obtain the permit on behalf of the contractor, as this alleviates the contractor from most liability and insurance requirements. In addition, the contracts should not be split in phases to circumvent the law. Anyone who is paid in excess of $25,000.00 is required to be licensed.

There used to be a single-wide mobile home on my property; can I replace it now with another single-wide?
You can replace a nonconforming mobile home with another one as long as you do it within six (6) months. You will need to receive health department approval, along with a building permit for the structure.