Apply for a Septic Permit

Information on obtaining a septic permit provided by the Jefferson County Environmental Health Department.

Step one:   Obtain a septic permit.  
If your property is in a subdivision we will need to know the lot number and subdivision name.
If not, you will be required to provide a copy of your recorded plat map and a soil map. Soil maps can be obtained from a soil scientist (A list can be furnished upon request).
You must stake out your proposed house site (four corners)  prior to submitting your application to the Jefferson County Environmental Department.  Be sure to use brightly colored stakes or flags.
We are located at the Old Dandridge Courthouse, 202 W. Main Street, Dandridge. Our office hours are 8:00am till 4:00 pm, Monday thru Friday, closed for lunch 12:00 to 1:00pm.
If you have any questions please feel free to call 865-397-1617. The Septic Permit Fee is $250.00, payable to: Jefferson County Environmental Dept.
NOTE: You must have your septic permit in hand before you move to step number two.

Step two:   Obtain a building permit.  

A Building Permit can be purchased at the Jefferson County Court House in the Zoning Office, which is located on the first floor. You will need a copy of your septic permit, surveyor’s map, bill of sale (if mobile home) and a copy of your deed to obtain a building permit. There may be other requirements also, so please feel free to contact Tim Seals at 865-397-4414.

Step three:   Obtain a 911 Address.

To obtain a 911 Address, you must have a Building Permit. The 911 office would also like you to have a copy of your plat (or survey) map showing the location of the house. The office is located in the City Hall Building basement at 112 West Broadway, Jefferson City. If you have any questions you may contact them at 865-475-4911.

Step four:   Septic Final Approval.

When your system is placed in the ground your installer is required to call the JCEHD, 865-397-1617, for a Final Septic Approval before the system can be covered up. Upon Final inspection, you must show verification of your Building Permit and your 911 address.