Register my car or renew my driver's license?

Driver’s License

The Jefferson County Clerk’s office is contracted with the State of Tennessee Department of Safety to renew and replace Tennessee State Driver’s Licenses and Identification Cards. As an express location we are unable to do any driver’s testing, drivers license transfers from other states(new residents or returning residents), renew any Tennessee Commercial Driver’s License, reinstate driver’s license, issue new identification cards, concealed carry permits or print a driving record. Also as a part of our contract we are required to charge an additional $4.00 processing fee on all transactions. For online services such as renewals and reinstatements see Tennessee Department of Safety Online Applications.


The hours of operation are:
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Saturday: 8 – 10:30 a.m


Residents wishing to renew their driver’s license or identification cards must submit their renewal notice and their current license or ID. You will be required to complete an application provided by the state in the event you did not receive a notice from the state to renew. An additional $4.00 processing fee is charged on all transactions due to changes in our state contract.


If your driver’s license is lost or stolen you may apply for and receive a duplicate license in the Jefferson County Clerk’s office. You will need to bring a form of identification when applying for the duplicate for example a birth certificate, social security card, or work/school ID card. Also, if you are a Tennessee resident who has a change residency, the clerk’s office can change the address on your driver’s license. State law requires that upon a change of residency you must have the address changed on your license within ten days. An additional $4.00 processing fee is charged on all transactions due to changes in our state contract.
Identification Cards

Our office can only renew and replace identification cards due to our new state contract.  Anyone wishing to apply for an identification card for the first time or changing from a driver’s license to an identification card must go to a main examining station.

New Residents

Under our new contract we can no longer process new residents' application for drivers license or returning residents applications. You must now go to a main examining station to process your applications.

Motor Vehicle Registrations

All vehicles must be registered at the time you are making application for title. You cannot apply for a title only.

Registration Renewals

All residents of Jefferson County must renew their vehicle registrations at the Jefferson County Clerk’s Office. In order to renew your vehicle registration you should submit either a renewal notice or a copy of your current registration. The fee to renew a regular automobile plate in Jefferson County is $49. and the fee for a regular motorcycle plate is $32. If you are mailing your renew notice please add the $2 mailing fee to your bill. For information on specialty or personalized plates visit the Tennessee Department of Revenue website Department of Revenue Internet-Specialty Plates Main Menu.

On-Line Registration Renewals

County residents may now renew their vehicle registrations on-line. There will be an additional 2% fee added to the regular mail in fees when renewing on-line. Click here to access the on-line renewal site.

Motor Vehicle Titles

New Vehicles

Titling new vehicles is usually handled by the dealership where the vehicle is purchased. The dealership may title the vehicle in the county where the purchase took place or send the title work to the Jefferson County Clerk to process. If we receive the title application we will either notify you by mail or simply process the application if the appropriate fees are provided. If the dealership gives the title work to the customer for them to process bring all documents provided by the dealership to the clerk’s office for processing. All vehicles must be registered at the time the title application is submitted. The fees for titling and registering are as follows:

   1. Transfer plates and title - $14.50
   2. New regular license plate and title - $60.00
   3. New motorcycle license plate and title - $43.00

Used Vehicles

When titling a used vehicle purchased from an individual you should make sure you receive a signed Certificate of Title from the previous owner. The signature should appear under the Assignment of Title by Registered Owner heading. Only dealerships may pass ownership without titling the vehicle in their names.
MAKE SURE THAT THE PERSON YOU ARE PURCHASING THE VEHICLE FROM APPEARS ON THE FRONT OF THE TITLE AND THEY HAVE SIGNED EXACTLY HOW THEIR NAME(S) APPEAR ON THE FACE OF THE CERTIFICATE OF TITLE. If the title has two owners on the front with the conjunction AND connecting the two names both signatures must appear. Upon receipt of the Certificate of Title you should sign to accept ownership of the vehicle and bring the title to the clerk’s office. You will be required to pay sales tax on the vehicle, a registration fee, and a title fee. You cannot apply for a title only, the vehicle must be registered at the time when you make application for title. The fees for titling and registering are as follows:

   1. Transfer plates and title - $14.50
   2. New regular license plate and title - $60.00
   3. New motorcycle license plate and title - $43.00

New Residents

New residents wishing to title and register in Tennessee must surrender their out-of-state title, if it is in their possession. If you have a lien on your vehicle and do not possess the title you should bring in your current vehicle registration and the full address of the lienholder. Make sure that the address you provide is the location where the title is being held and not just where you send payments.


All ATV’s should be titled in Tennessee. All new ATV’s have a MSO/MCO, which is title provided by the manufacturer to the dealer.

Mobile Homes

All new mobile homes have a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin which is the title the manufacturer provides to the dealer for reassignment. When purchasing a new mobile home you must provide the clerk’s office with the MCO/MSO and a bill of sale or dealer’s invoice showing that sales tax has been collected. All mobile homes should be titled unless the lienholder requires that you submit an Affidavit of Affixation and relinquish your title.


The State of Tennessee does not require that all trailers be titled and registered. Check with the clerk’s office for specific information on your trailer.

Duplicate Titles

In order to receive a duplicate title the owner must submit an Application for Replacement Certificate Title to the clerk’s office and a fee of $11.00. Most duplicate titles are handed over-the-counter that day.

Noting of Liens

To note a lien you must submit the Tennessee Certificate of Title, an Application for Noting of Lien on Certificate of Title form, and a security agreement, which identifies the vehicle and is signed. The fee is $10.50 to note a lien.

For more information visit the Tennessee Department of Revenue Vehicle Services website Department of Revenue Internet - Vehicle Services.

For forms related to Motor Vehicle see our Forms section.