Veterans Affairs

The Jefferson County Veterans Service Office provides assistance to veterans and their families in all matters.

Jefferson County Veterans Service Officer

The Jefferson County Veterans Service Office is temporarily closed.  Jefferson County is currently in search for a Veterans's Service Officer.  

If you need the assistance of a Veterans Service Officer (VSO), please contact one of the following based on your home or work location:

Live or work in Jefferson City, Talbott, New Market
Contact: Mike Wise, VSO in Morristown, (423) 586-6830 Office Hours: Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Live or work in White Pine, Chestnut Hill, Baneberry, Swansylvania
Contact: Mike Barnes, VSO in Newport, (423) 623-7911 Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Live or work in Dandridge, Piedmont, Shady Grove, Deep Springs
Contact: Jesse Inman, VSO in Sevierville, (865) 453-8073 Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Live or work in Strawberry Plains, New Market
Contact: Tom Humphreys, VSO in Knox County, (865) 215-5645 Office Hours: Monday-Friday,  8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.


Office Location and Hours

The Veterans Service Office is located in the lower level of the Jefferson County Health Department.  The address is:

931 Industrial Park Road
Suite 102
Dandridge, TN 37725

Phone (865) 397-7824
Fax (865) 397-9832

Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

Veterans Services

The mission of the Jefferson County Veterans Service Officer is to provide veterans, widows and their dependents counseling and assistance in filing for Disability Compensation, Pension, Death Benefits, Education, Vocational Rehabilitation, Medical and Dental Treatment, Insurance and Home Loan Benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in Nashville, Tennessee, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  The office offers assistance in obtaining DD Forms 214, Records of Separation or Discharge, copies of service treatment records, and replacement medals.   In addition, the office provides information on a large variety of topics including, but not limited to, Agent Orange, Ionized Radiation, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Veterans Tax Relief, and individual specialty requests.

Duties and Responsibilities of the Veterans Service Officer

Interviews and counsels veterans and their dependents concerning benefits, such as pensions, compensation, education, hospitalization, insurance, loans, medical care,' and Veterans preference.

Prepares formal and informal claims and compiles appropriate supporting documents and evidence in support of claims for presentation to appropriate agency.  Reviews denied claims and assists veterans and their dependents in preparing rebuttals to adverse benefits/decisions for presentation to claims service for prosecution.

Visits homebound and severely disabled veterans and surviving spouses in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and residences to counsel individuals and file claims as necessary.

Maintains regular contact with all veterans’ service organizations, such as Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion.  Also, maintains contact with State governmental agencies such as Social Security, Departments of Human Services and Labor and Workforce Development.

Advises and consults with doctors, lawyers, hospital and community-based outpatient clinics personnel and other service professionals regarding benefits and services for claimants.

Prepares and maintains standard records and reports such as contact reports, claims filed, determination reports, required federal statistical documents, and other veterans’ administration reports.

Eligibility for VA Benefits

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based on discharge from Active military service under other than Dishonorable conditions for a minimum period specified by law.  Active service generally means fulltime service as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, the Environmental Services Administration, or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.  Completion of at least 6 years of Honorable Service in the Selected Reserves (including National Guard) also provides for home-loan benefits for those not otherwise eligible.

Wartime Service

Certain VA Benefits and medical care require wartime service.  As specified by law, VA recognizes the following wartime periods:

  • World War I:  April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918:
    April 1, 1920 if served in Russia extended through July 1, 1921, for veterans who had at least one day of service between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918
  • World War II:  December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
  • Korean War:  June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955
  • Vietnam War:  August 5, 1964 to May 7, 1975 (for those serving in Vietnam February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975)
  • Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990 to (ending date to be set by Congress and Presidential proclamation or concurrent resolution)

Important Documents to Keep

Important papers and copies of public documents that you should save and protect for your future use include:

  • DD Form 214, Report of Transfer or Discharge
  • Certificate of Discharge
  • Certificate of Service - any papers associated with Active Duty, such as orders to and from active duty, vouchers, warrants, commissions, diplomas, citations, etc.
  • Social Security information
  • Family records, such as marriage license, birth certificates, death certificates, divorce decree, guardianship or custody evidence, adoption papers, and other permanent records 

Important Telephone Numbers

  • Veterans Affairs, Toll Free 1-800-827-1000
  • VA Medical Center, Mountain Home, TN (423) 926-1171
  • VA Medical Center, Murfreesboro, TN  (615) 893-1360
  • VA Medical Center, Nashville, TN  (615) 327-4751
  • Community-Based Outpatient Clinic, Knoxville, TN  (865) 545-4592
  • Community-Based Outpatient Clinic, Sevierville, TN (865) 286-6950
  • Community-Based Outpatient Clinic, Morristown, TN  (423) 586-9100
  • Community-Based Outpatient Clinic, Rogersville, TN (423) 235-1471
  • Vet Center, Knoxville, TN (865) 633-0000

East Tennessee State Veterans Cemetery, (865) 577-3228